The goal of the SME Student Innovation Tour is to create interest, excitement and an appreciation for the technology, as well as to build awareness with students and educators about manufacturing career pathways. Schools interested in participating in this program: please email Natalie Lowell at NLowell@sme.org.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
- Introduce students to the additive manufacturing industry as a prospective career pursuit.
- Provide a high-level overview of advanced design and manufacturing technologies, materials, processes and applications.
- Allow students to learn about how and why the technology is used along with examples of interesting applications.
- Provide students the opportunity to ask questions and interact with an industry mentor and see the technology firsthand at the RAPID + TCT show.
- Encourage and inspire students to share what they learn.
- Have fun!
WHAT STUDENTS WILL LEARN
- What additive manufacturing is and its applications.
- How companies use additive manufacturing within industry with unique applications.
- Gain hands-on experience with product development models and the processes for making physical prototypes.
- Obtain a basic understanding of the industry.
- Hear about career options.
- Realize a different view of manufacturing — it’s not all smoke stacks and loud machinery.
- Become excited to see additive manufacturing as an option.
- Focus on product development (using software to develop the concept and then building the prototype).
- Understand what engineers can do.
- See how additive manufacturing impacts our lives.
- Learn how things we use every day are developed and built.
- Manufacturing technology is cool!
BENEFITS TO EDUCATORS AND MENTORS
- Share knowledge.
- Impact the future of the technology.
- Influence future workforce.
- Demonstrate industry knowledge and leadership.