Pittsburgh is a national hub for manufacturing and innovation. With a strong focus on advanced manufacturing, the region is home to world headquarters for global leaders and groundbreaking additive manufacturing facilities.
- Pittsburgh is home to more than 120 research centers and 3,000 advanced manufacturing firms that employ nearly 96,000 people. Pennsylvania employs over 568,000 people in manufacturing.
- Manufacturing is one of the Pittsburgh region’s top industries by Gross Regional Product (GRP), with over $12 billion in GRP.
- A $3 billion investment in university, corporate and government R&D annually highlights the Pittsburgh region’s commitment to innovation.
- In Pennsylvania and its surrounding states, a combined 45% of the workforce is employed in manufacturing, with the area accounting for 15% of the total manufacturing output in the United States.
Recent Additive Manufacturing Developments in the Pittsburgh Region
- Arconic, a global technology, engineering, and advanced manufacturing leader, opened a state-of-the-art 3D printing metal powder production facility in July 2016 at the Arconic Technology Center near Pittsburgh.
- In April 2016, GE opened the Center for Additive Technology Advancement (CATA) near Pittsburgh, which is focused on developing and implementing industrial additive manufacturing applications.
- The NextManufacturing Center at Pittsburgh’s Carnegie Mellon University is one of the world’s leading research centers for additive manufacturing. In 2016, the center created a consortium to advance additive manufacturing technology to widespread adoption and certification.
- In 2015, two separate University of Pittsburgh research projects to improve design development for structures in additive manufacturing received more than $1.7 million in funding through America Makes.
The Tri-State Region is Bridging the Gap to Advanced Manufacturing
Sources: Pittsburgh Regional Alliance, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Census Bureau, National Association of Manufacturers