An Advanced Manufacturing Powerhouse
Chicago is the third largest city in the U.S., with an economy that ranks 17th in the world. One of the top states for manufacturing in the nation, Illinois boasts a rich history of industrial excellence that has evolved into an advanced, technology-driven sector.
- 10% of the Illinois workforce is employed in manufacturing
- Illinois is the 4th largest manufacturing state in the nation
- 290,000+ Illinois workers are employed in advanced manufacturing
- Advanced manufacturing firms include Abbott, Baxter, Caterpillar, John Deere, Motorola, Navistar, Siemens, and more
- Illinois boasts the 4th largest auto employment base in the U.S.
- There are 4,300+ firms that manufacture plastics, rubber and metals in the state
- The Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII), a first-of-its-kind public-private partnership, is located in Chicago
Sources: NAM, Intersect Illinois